As I may have mentioned before, I am a strong believer in perfume for all. If your budget is more Aldi than Amouage, you can still smell good. The trick lies in being selective: quality is there if you know where to look. It’s also in portion control: yes you can wear niche, but a sample or discovery set usually works out cheaper than a full bottle if eked out judiciously. When the purse is empty, I can still smell of Tauer Noontide Petals, just not every day.
Last year I made a list of best perfumes under ten pounds. Due to constant price changes and discontinued this and that, I thought it appropriate to do another one. I won’t quote prices as they are so variable, but all of these were under 10GBP at the time of going to press, and not in a sale.
I’ve tried to include a bit of everything so in the list below you have a musk, a rose, an oriental, a cologne, a floral, and a patchouli. Hope you like it! Oh and do let me know of your favourite bargains. I always love to hear from you.
1. Coty L’Aimant: still under a tenner, still smells like Chanel No 5, still easy to find. Oddly, not often worn by the young. Time to put this right! Think, as the Perfumed Dandy does, of an Agatha Christie heroine.
2. Dana Tabu: An affordable Oriental classic.
3. The Body Shop Early Harvest Raspberry EDP 30ml. You know the adage K.I.S.S? (Keep It Simple Stupid)? Well that’s what the Body Shop has done and this lovely raspberry soliflore is suitable for all ages, even children, and is one of the most searched for posts on my blog.
4. Alyssa Ashley Musk: A classic Musk that has been going since the 70s. You can’t go wrong.
5. Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights: A creamy combo of Papyrus and Patchouli. It’s not your typical celebuscent and smells like it cost a lot more than it did. I wear it often.
6. Chique by Taylor of London: This was a pleasant surprise to me: a mossy chypre that reminded me of Estee Lauder Knowing but was a fraction of the price. The packaging is dated and bland but it smells terrific.
7. The Body Shop Atlas Mountain Rose oil, 15ml. A great base for layering, or wearing alone. Because it’s an oil and has no alcohol in it, I find it lasts longer than anything else on a very hot summer day.
8. Avon Timeless: Currently a fiver a bottle. Avon created this classic in 1974 and discontinued it in 2012. Customer demand brought it back. Amber and Patchouli and aldehydes. Buy it before they change their mind again. Available from your Avon rep.
9. Elizabeth Arden Green Tea flankers: widely available and usually 9.99, I have tried several of these now and I can honestly say that they are all delightful. Light, pretty florals that refresh on a hot day and impossibly feminine to boot. Real crowd pleasers. I especially like the Elizabeth Arden Green Tea Honeysuckle, Green Tea Tropical and Green Tea Revitalize.
10. Next Just Pink: Smells like Ralph Lauren Romance, but even prettier! I adore this and always have a purse spray in my handbag.
Incidentally, if you are not afraid to go a few pence over the ten quid limit, I suggest Avon Premier Luxe , any of The Body Shop Scents of The World Range, and a trawl through allbeauty.com.
Others that I recommend are Tweed, Panache, A quick peek in TK Maxx to see what they’ve got in this week (stock changes constantly) a basket full of purse sprays from Marks and Spencer, the ever changing array of scents and prices in your local bargain stores such as Wilkinson and Home Bargains, the Yardley soliflores … Oh and don’t forget eBay!
Money schmoney- Who needs mega bucks?